Re: transform as a presentation attribute [was: Re: [whatwg] SVG cloning elements from HTML5]

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Juergen Roethig <roethig@dhbw-karlsruhe.de
> wrote:

> Dear Dirk Schulze, hello world,
>
> But translation in SVG is not a simple modification of a position on a
> screen (wherever this might be, finally), but it is a specific change of
> the object's position in the coordinate system, and the latter is not
> measured in pixels at all! I may make 1 (one) coordinate system unit be of
> size 1px, 42px, 4711px, or even just 0.0815px, dependent on the viewbox,
> scaling of containing elements, and resolution of the output device. And
> now I get told that I should use a unit "pixel" for that? Incredible!

This is all true, it's a very powerful geometry platform.  It would be nice
to use real world measurements, but they are rarely available.  It hasn't
proven to be much of a handicap.

> Please, tell me that this "spec" will never become a recommendation!

Sorry to disappoint you, the current recommendation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/> has all that in it.