Re: Accessing a sheet in a style element in an svg element

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear SVG working group!
>
> I just tried to access a sheet in a style added to an svg element:
>
>     var theSvg = document.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg",
> "svg");
>     var theStyle = document.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg",
> "style");
>     theSvg.appendChild(theStyle);
>     console.log("theStyle.sheet=", theStyle.sheet); // undefined, try adding
> svg to DOM
>     document.body.appendChild(theSvg);
>     console.log("theStyle.sheet=", theStyle.sheet); // still undefined
>
> As you can see this failed. I have little knowledge of this subject, but was
> directed here from my question here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24920186/how-do-i-create-a-style-sheet-for-an-svg-element
>
> I am not sure if a specification is lacking here or if this is a bug in the
> browsers implementation. However this must of course be a part of the
> specification for using CSS with SVG.

It's not an implementation or spec bug, but it is a design bug.
SVGStyleElement has a slightly different interface from
HTMLStyleElement:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/styling.html#InterfaceSVGStyleElement>

We're attempting to pursue a tighter merge of SVG with HTML, which
will include just reusing HTML's <style> element instead, so they'll
work the same automatically.

~TJ