Re: Status of connectors for SVG2

Hello world,

Doug Schepers wrote:

> I'm not sure how that's simpler… you're proposing changes to several
> existing elements (with all the issues of backwards compatibility and
> testing), rather than simply introducing a new element with the
> dedicated functionality.

I proposed a "change" just to two attributes of existing elements, i.e.
the points and the d attribute. I propose to let them additionally allow
some special notion (now, it's temporarily "refpoint(refidvalue)")
instead of a "x,y" coordinate pair (or "x y", or whatever format might
be allowed for that). I do not see any implications which might lead to
problems with backwards compatibility ("broken content"). And I proposed
one new element ("point") which would not be rendered, and which might
appear basically everwhere where "old" graphical elements might appear
as well.

> The issue is not the complexity of the specification (it's not that
> complex), it's the lack of commitment from browser vendors to support
> it; they aren't opposed to it, but they aren't likely to implement it
> soon, either, so it's a matter of priorities in moving it forward.

And the implementation should be a matter of minutes, since as I wrote
in my previous EMail ...

> On 7/10/14 9:45 AM, Juergen Roethig wrote:
>>

>> One might create a simple prototype for that by using XSL transformation
>> to the "connector-enhanced" svg file ... maybe I will do that as an
>> example, if time permits.

... this is easily possible. You might check a working demo at
[http://jroethig.de/geolog/connector.html]
But it was a one hour hack, so please forgive any weird XSLT coding, or
the fact that it does not perform the XSLT automatically, so far. I just
run "xsltproc" for that matter. But it's pure XSLT 1, so any browser is
able to perform the XSLT, they finally just don't show the resulting
SVG, but the XML code (at least in my browsers) - probably some weird
problem with xml-stylesheet, DOCTYPE, or xmlns declarations. If someone
makes it work automatically and might tell me what was wrong before, you
are welcome!

Regards,

Juergen Roethig