Re: Cairo and ISO C++

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 01:07:11 +1300
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> WebKit was able to implement SVG support on top of Cairo graphics. The
> main issue at the time was the missing support for filter operations
> similar to the operations from SVG Filters.

Same in Gecko.

I think Mozilla had concerns about a stateless vs stateful graphics API in
> the past which made them partly move away from using the Cairo API. Maybe
> that is a concern to discuss?

http://robert.ocallahan.org/2011/09/graphics-api-design.html
But for the C++ group's library, which will probably be used by
"applications" more than "frameworks", it might be fine. I don't know of
any stateless 2D drawing library that's strongly cross-platform and has API
stability guarantees.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w