Re: Conical gradients

I once suggested generalizing radial gradients to also allow conical
and/or "spiral" gradients. Essentially the idea is that radial gradients
give you the radius part of polar coordinates, while conical gradients
are essentially based on the angle part. A scheme that combines the two
would allow for a kind of spiral gradient.

In terms of simulating them, apart from using meshes, there are also
some filter techniques that can be used to get a decent (but not great)
approximation:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Advanced_Gradients