Re: fill and stroke properties with CSS <image> values

On Jan 23, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to play devil's advocate for a moment...  There is already a mechanism for using bitmaps for fills and strokes - <pattern>.  Since SVG is supposedly a first-class citizen now, why don't the CSS guys just leverage the existing SVG abilities?

It is. That doesn’t mean that SVG can’t use some magic that is already part of CSS but not SVG.

> Does there really need to be multiple ways to do everything?

This gives authors the freedom of choice. I do not see anything particular bad about it. There is nothing that SVG gradients can’t do but CSS gradients can (at the moment). This doesn’t mean that specifying a CSS gradient can’t be simpler in some cases. Repeating images? corssfading images?.. All that can be done with SVG patterns, yes. Why should authors be limited to SVG patterns though?

Keep in mind: There is no stronger enemy than the habit of people. Authors familiar with HTML+CSS might have a hard time learning about <pattern> or <linearGradient> but a rectangle might still be in the shorter range. Let them draw the SVG rectangle but use their ways to style it.

> Does complicating the definition of fill and stroke make things all that much simpler?  Okay, so animating bitmap strokes will be easier to do with CSS.  But do we really want that anyway (*shudder* ;)?

The good thing: SVG people don’t need to use it. They can continue using the same simple syntax if they which. fill: url(#gradient) will still work. If you chose to, you can go beyond it.

Greetings,
Dirk