Re: fill and stroke properties with CSS <image> values

On Jan 23, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:45:03 +0100, Jeremie Patonnier <jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> 2014/1/23 Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
>>
>>> I'm wondering how much of a need there really is to have the fallback
>>> color in the first place, maybe this is something we should revisit?
>>>

>> Let's imagine the following use case:
>>
>>   1. You have an SVG image with a white background
>>   2. I have a rect fill with a dark image (fill: url("stuff.png"))
>>   3. I write some text on top of the rect which color is white
>>   4. If for some reason the image is not loading, the text become not
>>   visible (white text on a white background)
>>
>> Having a fallback color (let's say black) is a safety for such cases.
>
> My next sentence was: "There might be a better alternative".
>
> In other words, what if there was another way to address this use-case? Why would it necessarily have to use the current syntax?

Beside that… The HMTL world managed to deal with this situation without a fallback color for more than a decade now. HTML has much more likely content that would be affected than SVG.

That said, Tab mentioned that there is a way to fill a layer with a color: image(<color>). Therefore, keeping the last color value as fallback might not be a big deal anyway. I personally have no strong opinion the one or the other way.

Greetings,
Dirk