Re: Conical gradients

On 2014-01-25 02:03, Alan Gresley wrote:
> I can't see how combining both a radial and conic gradient would allow
> for a kind of spiral gradient. A spiral gradient is more like a
> repeating radial gradient. What you don't cover is something like a
> turbine [3] which is a repeating conic gradient.
I figured it made more sense to just code it up than to keep talking
past each other. What I meant is now implemented in javascript, and
available here:
http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/dev/misc/
The left image essentially shows the gradient when viewed as a function
of radius and angle (horizontal axis and vertical axis), while the right
image shows what the actual gradient would look like when filling a
square. (I didn't bother coding up support for different
horizontal/vertical radii, nor for allowing the "focus" and "center" to
be different, but it would be perfectly possible to add such
functionality as well.)

To get a repeating conical gradient, just enter some (integer) number of
arms larger than 1, with Infinity for the radius.

Note that of course the exact parameters required could be fleshed out
some more, and perhaps there are better ways to expose this
functionality, but if at some point both radial and conical gradients
would be allowed, I still think it would be a shame not to allow the
full spectrum of "polar gradients".

And just to clarify: it might feel a little strange to enter "Infinity"
as a radius, but it doesn't give any problems (basically some stuff gets
divided by infinity, which is perfectly fine), and simply yields the
limit case of what happens when the radius goes to infinity (which
happens to give a conical gradient if you specify that you want 1 or
more arms). But if desired other schemes are also possible, like having
a radius and a "period" similar to the number of arms (mathematically
it's the same idea).