Re: Bearing path command

On 13 February 2014 18:07, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

>  3. If an absolute command doesn't reset the bearing, is there anything
>> that does?
>>

> Just "B" and "b".

It occurs to me that there is a side-effect to bearing that may be
undesirable.

At present you can append two independent paths safely and know that each
subpath will remain the same.  However that won't be the case with bearing
as it is defined now.

In order for a user or a program to safely append two paths, a "B 0" will
now need to be inserted between them.  If the user is trying to stick to
relative commands, then the first path will have to be analysed to
determine the bearing in effect at the end of the path and a counter-acting
bearing inserted.

Would it perhaps make sense for the bearing to reset at the end of a
subpath (Z/z/M/m)?

Also, I still kind of feel that any absolute path command ought to reset it
as well.  Is a mixed path like "M 100 100 b 25 h 20 L 30 50 h 20" very
useful?

Paul