Re: fill and stroke properties with CSS <image> values

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 18:33:10 -0800
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
CC: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, public-fx <public-fx@w3.org>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
On 1/02/2014 6:18 pm, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> I did propose having multiple layers (which is conform to the
> intentions of Tav). Multiple colors can be archived with the image()
> function which creates a “color image”.

I didn't realise your proposal was for multiple layers too.

I think it's going to be kind of unobvious that you need to use
image(color) for the common case of putting a colour underneath a hatch
pattern.  For example not being able to write:

   fill: yellow, url(#diagonalhatch);

but instead needing to write:

   fill: image(yellow), url(#diagonalhatch);

but maybe it's unavoidable.

On the other hand, how much are we really like a background layer here,
and not just something that has similar syntax?  It's not like we've got
fill-image, fill-position, etc. properties.  And there's no fill-color
for the <color> in the <final-bg-layer> to be copied into.  Maybe it
would be OK to allow colours in the middle of the list.