Re: Question on Connectors in SVG

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 12:12 +0000, Armin von Helden wrote:
> Dear SVG editors,
>

> I’m working in the IP networks area in Ericsson and in my unit we work
> a lot with network diagrams, which are being used for network design,
> network verification, network management. A variety of network drawing
> formats and tools are being used, MS Visio is a good example.
>

> What we are missing is an open vector graphic standard, which supports
> the world of IP networks and related diagrams. A very important
> element is the “Connector” type, which is quite good supported in MS
> Visio and yED.
>

> So I found W3C Editor’s Draft for SVG Connector 1.0, Part 2 from Jan.
> 2011 interesting
>
> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html
>
> and also a proposal for SVG Connectors:
>
> http://tavmjong.free.fr/SVG/CONNECTORS/index.xhtml

Can you provide feedback on the proposals?

> Unfortunately I don’t see these “Connector” structures in the upcoming
> SVG 2 working draft:
>
> http://www.w3..org/TR/SVG2/
>
> and also the powerful SVG tool Inkscape has only very basic support
> for Connectors. MS Visio is much more powerful here.

> My question to you is, if “Connectors” will be part of the final SVG 2
> recommendation.

We decided at one point to make “Connectors” a stand-alone module.

> From my point of view and I think also for world leading network
> operators (Ericsson’s customers) a better standardization & support of
> network diagrams is desirable.

There is also a great interest in “Connectors” by the accessibility
people for their semantic value. We briefly discussed this need at the
SVG face-to-face meeting last month. There is now an SVG accessibility
task force that might provide a good place further develop the
“Connectors” module.

I definitely am interested in pushing SVG connectors but I am stretched
a bit thin right now with other SVG 2 things and with getting Inkscape
0.91 out the door.

Tav