From: honyk [mailto:j.tosovsky@email.cz]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 6:29 PM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: New path primitive

Dear All,

in my svg files I use lot of circles and render a text on them. As the
circle itself cannot be used as the textPath target, the final code is quite
complicated.

As a proof take the fact I cannot write the required code from the scratch
without looking into the spec. I cannot remember the order and meaning all
of those arc primitive options.

It would be nice if the final code could be more readable. Yes, I mean to
add a bit of 'syntactic sugar' for something what is already in the spec.

By that new primitive I mean the simple circle. With the center in the last
coord, with the specified diameter and starting at Ymin. The direction
(clockwise/ccw) would be defined by diameter sign (+/-). I propose 'D'
symbol as 'd'iameter. It would be case insensitive (relative/absolute
doesn't matter here).

Please compare:
<circle cx="200" cy="200" r="150"/>
<path d="M200 50A150 150 0 1 1 200 350A150 150 0 1 1 200 50"/> <path d="M200
200D300"/>

donut:
<path d="M200 50A150 150 0 1 1 200 350A150 150 0 1 1 200 50M200 100A100 100
0 1 0 200 300A100 100 0 1 0 200 100"/>
<path d="M200 200D300 D-200"/>

The main difference between A and D is the final coord, which in case of D
stays in the center.
In the future I would even mark the circle element as deprecated in favor of
this new path syntax (it is shorter and can be used also for text
rendering).

Thanks, Jan