paint-order computed value and non-scaling-stroke in pattern and marker (was: Re: agenda, 19 September 2013 SVG WG telcon)

Adding some details on the topics I requested.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:49:30 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please find the agenda for this week's telcon below.
> * paint-order computed value (Erik)

Proposal: make the computed value be the ordered list of paint commands,
e.g "fill markers stroke". Essentially normalizing the values into what
the renderer would need to do, so that e.g "normal" or "fill" would become
"fill stroke markers".

> * non-scaling-stroke in patterns and markers, how should it work? (Erik)

This is ISSUE-2448. Since patterns and markers are not in SVG Tiny 1.2 it
never described how vector-effects=non-scaling-stroke should work in that
context. We need to specify how it should behave in SVG2. I've attached an
example that shows non-scaling-stroke used in a pattern and in a marker.

This was brought up by
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15582157/svg-non-scaling-stroke-inside-pattern-doesnt-work.

Proposal: compensate for the scalefactor(s) added by the pattern or marker
so that if you use non-scaling-stroke on an element inside it, it works as
expected (that is: 1px non-scaling-stroke inside a pattern/marker produces
a 1px stroke when the pattern/marker is used, regardless of what
transformations are in between).

(cc:ing www-svg for any further technical discussion, especially regarding
the non-scaling-stroke issue, since there are differences in how browsers
treat these cases)

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group