Re: Inline SVG sizing in CSS

On Oct 10, 2013, at 8:09 PM, David Vest <davve@opera.com> wrote:

> Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> writes:
>
>> Did you test a combination of 'with'/'height' properties to attributes
>> on the <svg> element?
>
> Yes, a number of combinations. That is basically what all the 1458 tests
> do, plus they test them inside different container elements.
>
>> We have a resolution that both shall be treated as presentation
>> attributes.
>
> AFAIK, that is what Firefox and old Opera (presto) does. The attribute
> maps to the property, but the property overrides. Where can I find the
> resolution?

I am sure ed or heycam find the resolutions for that. I do not have a link right now.

>> So one overrides the other. How does that preform in
>> different browsers?
>
> I have little experience with what IE does, but Webkit/Blink has a
> percentage intrinsic system that handles percentages in a way that's
> separate from the normal percentage handling in CSS. This causes many if
> not all of the differences in my tests. So to be clear, Webkit/Blink
> doesn't treat width/height as presentation attributes currently.

No, width and height are not presentation attributes in webkit and blink yet. Therefore, they do interact separately, independent of CSS. I do not expect that this is compatible with the resolution at all. For WebKit and Blink the problem is the SVG DOM code that is not mapped to CSS properties. We need to support SVG DOM for backward compatibility.

Greetings,
Dirk