RE: Deprecating <tref>

Tab Atkins wrote:

> Just animate 'display' on the <text> element, or on <tspan> (if that responds to 'display', as it likely should).

Sure, I think that'd do it:

http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/animstart1.svg

Does tref have any other things to recommend it? The spec (1.1) section about it is a bit hard for me to digest. I could see one arguing that tref's solution to the above is more elegant than setting up a slew of items that emerge in each others' absence, but I'm not sure tref would be any better since each element still needs to be defined. I remember proposing something several years back that might look like
<text>happy<animate attributeName="nodeValue" values=[semicolon delimited list of strings]</text>

To account for just such a use case, and I believe we built something like that into <replicate> since it was an oft encountered request, but I'm not really an adamant friend of <tref>, but believe that arguments for deprecation should be based not merely on usage but on value.

Cheers
DD