From: Cameron McCormack [mailto:cam@mcc.id.au]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 6:58 PM
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: Doug Schepers; www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: should textLength="0" disable rendering?

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> If something is a number - that is, it accepts decimal quantities,
> rather than just integers - you should make sure that all of your
> ranges are closed, rather than open.
>
> For example, behavior can be defined for values "0 and up", but not
> "above 0", because that's an open range - in includes every value
> greater than zero, but not zero itself.

I think that argues for having textLength="0" mean nothing gets rendered, since it is as if the text is squished down to nothing.  At least for lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs".  For lengthAdjust="spacing", we'll just apply whatever we decide to handle the "textLength is less than the width of the widest glyph in the text" behaviour.