From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:42:25 -0500
To: "'Dr. Olaf Hoffmann'" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, <www-svg@w3.org>
Rather than worry about changing the spec to handle such things, I think I
would just use <replicate>

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic2.svg
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic4.svg
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic7.svg
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic8.svg

The above should work everywhere but Firefox which doesn't handle the
textLength="90" lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs"
parts

cheers
David