Re: SVG 2 Features and Approach

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:28:02 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, charles@gateho.gotadsl.co.uk
Tab Atkins Jr.:
> SVG Fonts is getting dropped from SVG2

Rick:
> That's a huge disappointment.

Charles Lamont:
> I think I half-understood there was to be some other horrible convoluted
> mechanism to achieve roughly the same functionality?

The usual way is to convert the complete text in arbitrary path data and
to use this path data as a replacement for the text.
To be accessible of course, one has to add the text additionally within
a desc, title or meta element again, what is pretty inefficient - and often
not added automatically with the programs doing the conversion.
The other problem is obviously, that one cannot edit such a converted
text in a simple way with a text editor, practically one needs a program
to convert and to edit (better one stores the orgin and edits this instead
of the SVG), therefore one can interprete this as one step more in a
direction, that SVG may become an inaccessible format one uses only as
data dump format - changes are done on other documents. With
specific programs one can have a conversion and output as SVG, if required.
This is comparable with the usage of postscript or  portable document format
today.

Olaf