Re: [svg2] paint-order (more a CSS syntax question)

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:37:51 +0100, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> A question about the 'paint-order' property [1]:
>>
>> the double bars, ||, that separate the values in 'paint-order'. Does CSS
>> say what is the expected result is when a value keyword is repeated more
>> than once? I'm looking at CSS3 Syntax, and I don't see a clear
>> answer[2].
>>
>> Consider the following cases:
>>
>>   paint-order: fill fill;
>>   paint-order: stroke markers stroke;
>>

> The proper spec is CSS Values and Units [1]:
>
> ""
> A double bar (||) separates two or more options: one or more of them
> must occur, in any order.
> ""

Same as in the CSS3 Syntax spec then.

> In your case it is exclusive. A value does not occur more then once,
> like for the 'background' shorthand [2].

Perhaps I'm interpreting this the wrong way, but where in the CSS spec(s)
does it say it is exclusive?

"one or more of them must occur" makes it seem as though "fill fill" is
valid, but I agree that that's not what we want here.

How about adding something to clarify that options can only occur once in
the given set? E.g:

"A double bar (||) separates two or more options: one or more of them must
occur, in any order. Each option can occur at most one time."

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group