Re: minutes, SVG F2F Pymont, Sydney day 5 (08/02/2013)

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:18:44 +1300
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

>        cabanier: yes because resource sharing is a problem
>        heycam: resource sharing is not adressed in my document
>        ... there would be no way to share across documents, we could
>        define extra tables with URI (blob or multi part)
>        ... I'm not sure it's worth at this point

With our current proposal, sets of glyphs that share resources can be
placed in the same document.

       sairus: we want to be precise in the index table entry
>        heycam: I think ti would be better with your proposal

That's fine but you'll have to define behavior when the glyph is present in
the table but doesn't appear in the document after all. I guess nothing is

>        ed: when you define you SVG glyph can you reference data coming
>        from the CFF or glyph tables
>        sairus: go across glyph technologies ?
>        ... so far they've been seen as mutually exclusive

>        sairus: it is probably not worth adding the complexity

I agree!

       shepazu: one of the use cases I get mailed off list, is that
>        people like to be able to define the SVG font in the file
>        itself

That's not really a use-case. A use-case would be more like "I'm writing a
font editor and I need to be able to edit glyph outlines and see the
results on text immediately". As it happens, that use-case is doable with
these proposals: use JS to update an SVG DOM subtree, serialize the subtree
and stuff the result into OpenType font data, create a Blob for that data,
create a Blob URL for the blob and use the CSSOM to load it with an
@font-face rule. Not super efficient, but you probably aren't designing
fonts on your low-end mobile phone.

       sairus: I'd like to have a place for palette in the font spec
>        ... I don't think it'll be implemented right now
>        ... but it needs to be speced
>        ... what would eb the values
>        heycam: that's what Leonard asked
>        ... what we have is very web specifi
>        ... we need to define what the context is outside of a web
>        context

I don't think we need to. We just need to specify that these values are
inputs to SVG glyph drawing. It's up to the context --- platform text API,
application, whatever --- to define how those values are set. For example,
it's not up to us to define how Apple's Quartz text APIs should map
CGContext state to context-fill and context-stroke!