Re: hasFeature revisited

On Apr 15, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> Used the wrong mailing list for SVG...

In SVG hasFeature() is used for feature detection. You can ask for support of shapes, fonts, filters and and a couple of dozen more features. At least for WebKit and Blink these information should be reliable. For at least 10 features the implementations returns false. If certain features like SVG Filters, SVG Animations or SVG Fonts are not enabled in a WebKit/Blink based browser, the method returns false for these features as well.

The SVG WG can't give any comments on the usage of this method in the wild. My recommendation is a real world measuring of the usage by browser vendors (not just checking the top 10k websites). I have an action to ask the Blink community to add instrumentations for hasFeature(). If the community accepts this and I can land a patch for Blink, we should have data in the next 3-5 months.

Greetings,
Dirk