Re: Perlin and simplex noise

On Sep 3, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 2012, at 1:03 AM, Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com> wrote:
>>> By not adding a CSS shorthand and a corresponding filter primitive element
>>> we're raising the bar for usage (and requiring every author that wants to
>>> use noise generators to copy these shaders), but you're right that it's
>>> possible to implement this as custom shaders. It's just nicer if this is
>>> part of the required functionality, as is already the case with the
>>> classical perlin noise algorithm in SVG 1.1.
>>
>> Actually, what is the problem of copy pasting shaders or use generators? I think this is more helpful then introducing yet another filter primitive. We already have enough in my eyes. Introducing more makes it harder to maintain those - from the spec and the implementor side. I have nothing against regular used short hands, but another noise filter does not really fit into this concept in my eyes.
>
> The problem is that it's much more difficult to use than a simple
> function.  Noise is used quite a lot in webpages, but right now it's
> always done by downloading a noise PNG or whatever.  Making noise
> available as a primitive would be very useful!
Again, you just need the shader, all parameters can be passed into the primitive. So actually I don't see the benefit in comparison to a shader. And I am not talking of a PNG or any other rasterized image. It can even be used with the current shorthands:

filter: custom(none url(trubulenceShader.fs), baseFrequency vec2(1, 1), numOctaves 1, seed 0, stirchTiles true, type 0);

could be an example for a feTurbulence shader.

Greetings,
Dirk