Re: Ambiguities in fill:url() / stroke:url() syntax

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> SVG fragments work with CSS Images on three different browsers (IE, FF,
> Opera) and will work in the near future in WebKit. So either CSS Images or
> Mediafragments should deal with it.
>
> I personally don't see a disadvantage to reference images as paint server
> with a new 'image()' function: image(url(externel.svg#id)). Specific
> functions could be used directly like gradients or (later) element().

The problem is that for 'fill', 'stroke' and 'mask' properties, existing
SVG specs and content require that url(foo.svg#abc) be interpreted as a
paint-server reference. We can't requiring all existing content using
'fill', 'stroke' and 'mask' with url() paint-server references be updated
to use different syntax. So making 'fill', 'stroke' and 'mask' accept url()
CSS image values is a non-starter without some way of disambiguating the
reference. The 'mask' problem is particularly acute since -webkit-mask
*already* accepts CSS image values so simply unprefixing it would hit this
problem.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]