Re: Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

On 30/11/2012 12:41 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> And that is the main difference between SVG and HTML. HTML is layout based, while SVG is positioned based. Furthermore, your request wouldn't be fulfilled with this proposal as well. It is not positioning elements relative to each other but nesting. And to your request: Not every concept that works and is reasonable in HTML should be adapted in SVG. Instead we should work hard on interoperability between both formats. Relative positioning makes sense when you add an SVG element in an HTML context. And as you said, we can group and transform elements. In the opposite to HTML, presentation and content is one part in SVG.
>
> For pure SVG I would strongly disagree with the statement "authors are familiar with from HTML/CSS, where drawn boxes can be nested inside of each other". As an SVG author I would not expect that at all. SVG is a graphics format, not a document layout format.
>
> This proposal makes it harder to understand an SVG file if you have nested elements:
>
> <rect width="200" height="200">
>       <circle>
>               <rect>
>                       <circle/>
>               </rect>
>       </circle>
> </rect>
>
> This is reasonable for HTML, but not for SVG. It needs a lot of specification work either.

Forgetting the comparisons between HTML and SVG, I think allowing a
drawing element to establish a new viewport and being able to place
objects within that viewport makes total sense for a graphics language.
It's possible now, but this is a more elegant way of doing it imo.
The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential and may also be the subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the information from your system.