Re: should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

On May 30, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Dirk Schulze:
>> No, more like 'gradientTransform' attribute that sets the 'transform' property. So 'kerning' would be a presentation attribute for 'font-kerning'. You could set kerning by:
>>
>> kerning="2"
>>
>> or
>>
>> style="font-kerning: 2px;"
>>

>> If you specify both together, than the inline style overrides the attribute value:
>>
>> kerning="2" style="font-kerning: 3px"
>>
>> would be a kerning of 3px.
>
> That's an option, though I think that if we are happy with removing
> kerning then we should have the font-kerning presentation attribute
> match the property name.
I just thought that we would not have to worry to much about backwards compatibility and existing content if we make 'kerning' a presentation attribute. And it shouldn't be to problematic to implement it in browsers.

Greetings,
Dirk