Re: should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:42:52 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
CC: Nikolas Zimmermann <zimmermann@kde.org>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>

On May 30, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Dirk Schulze:
>> If they are that similar, why not making 'kerning' a presentation attribute for 'font-kerning'?
>
> So that you could specify style="kerning: 2px", presumably.

No, more like 'gradientTransform' attribute that sets the 'transform' property. So 'kerning' would be a presentation attribute for 'font-kerning'. You could set kerning by:

kerning="2"

or

style="font-kerning: 2px;"

If you specify both together, than the inline style overrides the attribute value:

kerning="2" style="font-kerning: 3px"

would be a kerning of 3px.

Greetings,
Dirk