should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 18:22:50 +1000
To: SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
SVG 1.1 has the kerning property, which lets you override the kerning
information from the font to use a specific value.  You can use
"kerning: 0" to disable kerning, for example.  css3-fonts defines the
font-kerning property, which has values "none" to disable kerning,
"normal" to apply it, and "auto" to give the UA some leeway in
determining whether it should apply.

The kerning property is implemented by WebKit, but not Gecko or Opera.
(Sorry Jen for not testing IE in this and recent mails; opening up my VM
is a bit of a drag.)

Can we drop kerning, and go ahead with font-kerning?  The combination of
font-kerning and letter-spacing can achieve everything that the kerning
property can.