Re: EXI WG's inquiry about ISSUE-2050

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 02:23:48 -0700
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>, "member-exi-wg@w3.org" <member-exi-wg@w3.org>
To: Takuki Kamiya <tkamiya@us.fujitsu.com>
Hi Takuki,

On May 9, 2012, at 12:09 , Takuki Kamiya wrote:
> Once such a shim API is in place for verbose XML path syntax, EXI will fit
> squarely to serve as an content-coding for SVG file exchanges.

It may prove useful if the EXI WG were to suggest a specific syntax for this, or at least guidelines as to what would achieve the best compression  which the SVG WG would likely balance against ease-of-authoring needs.

Note that it should be easy to prototype this functionality using JS to show that it is usable. It's been done before (but I can't seem to find the code  it's old :).

> From EXI WG's point of view, we would like to make EXI work to its fullest
> to best serve SVG documents. One significant ingredient to achieve that is the
> use of XML Schemas. EXI uses XML Schemas not for validation, but for
> informing the processors of the most likely structure/datatypes of the
> documents. We are aware that SVG is using Relax NG for defining its syntax.
> We would like to explore the idea of having a parallel normative XML Schema
> that is not for defining SVG syntax but for informing EXI processors of what
> it can expect more likely than others gramatically. We would like to have this
> discussed together with SVG WG. Is this something that we can work together
> on among other aspects?

Conversion from RNG to XSD ought to be possible in this case, but my concern would be the work involved in maintaining the two. I wonder if it would be possible to generate both based on some simplified syntax. A number of SVG's content models cannot be adequately captured by XSD, but I guess that those can for the most part be automatically simplified.

> Since the EXI WG is going to meet during TPAC this year, we thought it a
> great chance for the two WGs to get acquiainted and discuss the issue
> face-to-face, depending on the schedule of the two WGs.

If there's a chance that I could be looped into that meeting, I'd love to be there (crazy TPAC schedule permitting).