RE: should we remove the kerning property in favour of font-kerning?

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:32:28 -0400
To: "'Cameron McCormack'" <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: "'Erik Dahlstrom'" <ed@opera.com>, "'John Daggett'" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "'Dirk Schulze'" <dschulze@adobe.com>, "'Nikolas Zimmermann'" <zimmermann@kde.org>, "'SVG public list'" <www-svg@w3.org>

David Dailey:
> In addition to the cases that Cameron found on the web, we also have
various instructional materials that were written relying on the spec including books and other materials such as http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/svgprimer.html#text . Future authors will be using kerning since that is what the spec said and hence what the instructional materials say.

Cameron McCormack:
Luckily that primer is on a web site that should be easy to update.

Unfortunately, not all books and instructional materials are on the web; not all things on the web are easy to update. Doug -- could you please change this for us in the SVG Primer? (just kidding, to make a point)

Deprecating anything comes with costs that are not always visible to spec builders and implementers. Just saying....

(I'm modifying the QC review of another book to accommodate this particular obsolescence today)

regards
David