Re: SVG Masking under FXTF

Hi Rik,

On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> do you think this makes sense? It seems like the model are very different (painter's algorithm vs css box model) so the solution will most likely not be the same.
> Or is it your intention to describe masking generally and then say how it applies to SVG and HTML like we did for the compositing spec?
I think it absolutely makes sense. This is quite similar to what we have in Filter Effects. The other way around it doesn't make sense to have to different specs that try to address the same use case. Both done with a masking property (even if it might be called different). You can already try it in Firefox right now.

> I think's Tab's -element() syntax will be more compatible with masking than what SVG currently has.
This is a different approach and it seems to be very interesting in the context of SVG as well (as paint sever for instance). However, at the moment it has noting to do with masking. Masks can take element() as input image and it is planned to do so.

Greetings,
Dirk