Re: mask: luminance or alpha

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any vector artwork created from any Adobe application, InkScape,
> CorelDraw and XAML.
> No, I meant content. All these products can create alpha masks as well.
> That doesn't count, otherwise I could say 99.99% of the vector artwork use
> alpha masking :).

I'm not talking about the products, but what they create.
My original 99.99% was for SVG/PDF content, but I think it applies to other
vector content as well (Flash excluded).

> No seriously, most people I spoke with thought that masking would operate
> on the alpha channel initially. It just seems to be more intuitive.
> However, in SVG we will actually support both!

Did you talk to graphic designers, or people that design web pages or
browsers?
My issue is not with having both; it's with having them being inconsistent
+ having a default that is rarely used for vector data

> > My number does not include Flash since it doesn't have luminosity masks
> (only alpha) so people didn't have choice but I've seen workaround using
> pixel bender.
> Sounds like authors are already more familiar with alpha masks.

No, some advanced flash designers are familiar with working around alpha
mask's limitations because they want luminosity.