Re: tabindex in SVG2 (was: Re: id's in the SVG2 spec)

Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote on 07/29/2012 05:55:42 PM:

> From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
> Cc: SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
> Date: 07/29/2012 05:56 PM
> Subject: tabindex in SVG2 (was: Re: id's in the SVG2 spec)
>
> [Changed subject line, since this was originally about the presence of
> IDs in the spec itself, not IDs and focusability of SVG content.  Also
> moved the discussion to www-svg@w3.org, where we should have technical
> discussions.]
>
> Richard Schwerdtfeger:
> > One of the things we will need to add in SVG2 is tabindex for keyboard
> > navigation so that we can have a consistent keyboard navigation model
> > between HTML and SVG. In HTML all elements with the body that are
> > visible support a tabindex.
>
> Yes.  I think this comes under the "Have a solution for specifying
> focusability and navigation order, and be consistent with HTML" item in
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Commitments.
> We don't have anyone signed up for it yet though.
>
> I don't think it would be much work to add tabindex="" to the spec.
Great.

I think the challenging thing with tabindex will be addressing tabindex
focus where content is not visible due to zooming level. We would need to
decide whether we give the author control over whether to zoom in or not
via some notification. ... or something along those lines. We would need to
collect use cases. This is a bit of a twist over HTML.

> There is also focus() and blur() on HTMLElement that we would probably
> also want to support.  I wonder what would make the most sense out of
>
>    (a) moving the tabIndex, focus and blur interface members up to
>        Element so that SVG would get them for free,
>
>    (b) asking Ian to split out these three members into a separate
>        interfaces so that we could say for example
>
>          SVGElement implements FocusControl;
>
>        in our IDL, or
>
>    (c) just duplicating those three interface members on SVGElement.

Great!