Re: Compositing math in SVG

Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> schrieb:

>On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Calculemus
><calculemus1988@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> About HDR, the problem is they can take values bigger than 1.
>> Let's say I have two HDR images with values in range 0-4.
>> Do I first map the range 0-4 to 0-1, do the blend math, and go
>> back to 0-4? Do I just do the math on the range 0-4 and
>> then clamp?

Clamping should always be the last step to preserve the HDR information
as long as possible during processing. HDR highlights behave other than
flat LDR white while compositing.

>When you blending 2 images, you need to make sure that they are in the
>same
>colorspace (aka the blending colorspace).
>If they are, I think you can just apply the blending formula's to the
>raw
>values. (1 in the blending formulas represents the maximum value of the
>your colorspace).
>If they are not, or the colorspace has no maximum/minimum values, you
>will
>need to convert to a wide gamut colorspace, blend in that and then
>convert
>back.

You can of course us a logarythmic function or a tone mapping op, which
looks much better than per channel clipping. The later one easily causes
not so nice colour casts.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe
--