Re: Status of CSS Animation on SVG

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:23:24 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, public-fx@w3.org
Hello,

on the one hand, the CSS method resulting in something like this:
@-ms-keyframes msFillOpacity
{
    0%
    {
        fill-opacity: 0.8;
    }

    25%
    {
        fill-opacity: 0.6;
    }

    75%
    {
        fill-opacity: 0.4;
    }

    100%
    {
        fill-opacity: 0.2;
    }
}

still looks quite  impractical,  error-prone  and inconvenient
for authors compared to the usual method to write:
attributeName="fill-opacity" values="0.8;0.6;0.4;0.2"

On the other hand something like this:
@-ms-keyframes msStyleX1Y1X2Y2
{
    from
    {
        x1: 300px;
        x2: 600px;
        y1: 25px;
        y2: 75px;
    }

    {
        x1: 300px;
        x2: 600px;
        y1: 75px;
        y2: 25px;
    }
}

looks quite interesting as idea.
It could be an improvement for SVG 2 to allow authors to
define own lists of attributes for none decorative purposes,
the animation applies to as something like attributeNames="x1;x2;y1;y2" -
the remaining notation problem is how to separate more complex
values in the values list for such a construction - an if and how paced
animations may apply to such values lists.

To become usable for authors, I think, the CSS-animation proposal
- if needed at all - should become much more effective, simple and elegant
concerning notation, as the already existing none decorative method already
is.

(Because I have no MSIE or WebKit with meaningful SVG capabilites
available and I have never seen a working CSS-animation in 'real life'/daily
use of internet, I had only a look into the source code of one sample,
therefore no comment on something different than what I have seen)

Olaf