Re: function-based input for <animate> (ACTION-3142)

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:46:47 +0100
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: "'Dailey, David P.'" <david.dailey@sru.edu>, "David Dailey" <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:30:24 +0100, David Dailey
<ddailey@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Hi Erik and all,
> Thanks for the opportunity to explain this in a bit more detail. Many of
> my comments were rather cryptic, I realize.
> In short, the proposal is to extend animateMotion so that it may effect
> other pairs of attributes of objects than just their x and y positions.
> What I was getting at here is the fact that declarative animation has
> limited ability to control the way in which attributes change values.
> Either, in the case of <animateMotion>, there is the ability to control
> the x and y positions of SVG elements through a path: a function mapping
> time to x and to y --from that it is natural to affiliate the x and y
> positions of points to follow that path.

The WG has discussed this proposal, and it was resolved that SVG 2 will
support path-based animations of pairs of attributes.

If you have any specific use-cases in mind other than the examples you've
already posted in this thread please let us know, to ensure that the
will be covered when this requirement is addressed.

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group