animateMotion along things other than paths?

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:10:06 -0500
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Just for fun, I tried using

<animateMotion dur="5s" rotate="auto" repeatCount="indefinite" >

    <mpath xlink:href="#E"/>

</animateMotion>

where #E actually refers to an ellipse rather than a path.  (Yes I am aware
than I can make an ellipse using <path>)

Of course the spec [1] requires that the referenced geometry must be a path,
but it made me wonder if this should not be extended to simple things like
actually be quite handy for the thing I am working on at present)

Cheers

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/animate.html#AnimateMotionElement