Re: SVG <glyph> element spec

On Dec 19, 2012, at 6:51 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/12 1:59 AM, Stephen Chenney wrote:
>>> It seems that no browser supports arbitrary geometry inside a <glyph>
>>> element. Only path data in the "d" attribute of the glyph is supported,
>>> and then only on Opera and WebKit (as far as I can tell). There are no
>>> W3C tests for non-path glyphs that I could find.
>>>
>>> I propose we drop the container aspect of glyph and insist on path data
>>> only. The complexity of implementing arbitrary geometry inside <glyph>
>>> makes it unlikely to be supported.

Opera supports the font module from SVG 1.2 Tiny, which just allows the d attribute. IIRC we couldn't find another viewer with full SVG 1.1 fonts support and decided to use the limited font module from SVG 1.2 Tiny instead of SVG 1.1 for SVG2. This would actually address your concerns. Cameron/Erik please correct me if I am mistaken.

The SVG WG decided to not spend resources into SVG Fonts but support SVG-in-OpenType instead.

Personally, I would be fine with removing SVG Fonts from the SVG2 spec. It is still part of previous SVG specifications. Creating a standalone module SVG Fonts based on SVG 1.2 Tiny would work for me as well.

Greetings,
Dirk