Re: Re (2): standaloneness, styling and validity.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:23:27 +0100, <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:

> From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:05:14 -0800
>> The 'standalone' attribute doesn't appear to be a valid attribute in
>> either SVG 1.1 (what the web uses) or SVG 1.2 Tiny.
>
> Correct; standalone is a XML document declaration, if that
> is the right terminology.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-rmd
>
> Regards,                  ... Peter E.

What the validator seems to be complaining about is that the <style>
element doesn't define xml:space (it is #FIXED to 'preserve' by the SVG
DTD [1]), and according to XML it needs to be specified if
standalone="yes".

Adding an explicit attribute xml:space="preserve" to the <style> element
makes it validate as SVG 1.1 standalone.

In practice I don't think it makes much of a difference.

For more details see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-rmd.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/svgdtd.html#DTD.1.21
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group