Re: Support for brushes

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 22:42:01 +0400
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

>> Just a quick note from end-user dept. LPEs are limiting in a way that
>> they impose single style for the output path. That's not too bad for
>> the PAP effect (contrary to e.g. Interpolation). However, for real,
>> usable brushes you would want to read input device characteristics
>> such as pen pressure and velocity, and affect color, opacity etc. In
>> terms of SVG markup that would mean storing style for each copy of a
>> brush primitive
>
> ah, true bristle brushes.

Oh, not really. What I'm talking about is a fairly generic brush
engine. AFAIK, what's typically referred to as bristle brushes
involves physical modeling and other kinds of heavy calculations.

> Those are certainly very useful, but HARD to implement! The markup for those
> will also be tough since as you mention you'd have to store all that extra
> information alongside the path.

Saving style settings would suffice. OTOH, a convergence with
http://www.w3.org/TR/InkML/ could be interesting.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org