Re: Support for brushes

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Jeremie Patonnier <
jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi :)
>

> 2012/12/7 Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
>
>> I've been thinking about how we can bring SVG and HTML closer. Brushes
>> allow you to create very interesting border that could be applied to CSS
>> boxes.
>> They would be similar to border images [1] except higher quality because
>> there's no need for image resampling.
>>

> What exactly is the benefit of brushes on HTML content if border images is
> already here and used with an SVG image?

It would be a slightly more elegant way.
I agree that you'd be able to do it by rendering the SVG at different
scaling factors, slicing that image and then draw the border.

If there was a 'brush' element, the UA could render corners and edges
separately and then tile them

> On SVG content, is there a way to allow the CSS border-image property on
> SVG elements?

SVG elements don't have 'borders' like HTML. SVG's graphical elements have
a 'shape' and this shape could be have a brush (= like a border) applied to
it.