Re: Support for brushes

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 20:51 -0800, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> All,
>

> was there ever a discussion on adding support for brushes to SVG?

I think we've discussed this idea under a different name: Skeleton
frames:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG2_Requirements_Input#Skeleton_frames

I personally would love this. Inkscape has a Pattern along Path "Live
Path Effect":

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Paths-LivePathEffects-PatternAlongPath.html

> I've been thinking about how we can bring SVG and HTML closer. Brushes
> allow you to create very interesting border that could be applied to
> CSS boxes.
> They would be similar to border images [1] except higher quality
> because there's no need for image resampling.

Neither the Skeleton frames proposal nor the Pattern along Path LPE take
into account corners but that wouldn't be hard to add.

> Rik
>

> 1: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#border-images

Tav