Re: Proposal: Nesting SVG Graphics Elements

2012/12/3 Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>

> On Dec 3, 2012, at 3:12 AM, Jeremie Patonnier <jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This alternative proposal does not really change SVG as it is and offer
> a nice short cut for user who wish to perform SVG hand editing.
>
> But where is the difference of using: transform="translate(dx, dy)"?

Almost none, it's syntactic sugar with a little difference: those
attributes act like the translation is applied before any other transform
and the transformation operate by those attribute is not visible in the
list of transformations. They act really like the point of origine has
changed, not just by moving the elements. This is why, in this proposal, it
is possible to reset the coordinate system with the x and y attribute
(doing this with transform is just a pain in the ass because you have to
check all the transformation applied along the DOM tree if you have nested
elements with a transform on each).

> I would rather say that HTML+CSS authors won't have this big problem with
> it, given the fact that we have CSS3 Transforms in HTML as well.

You should'nt assume that. HTML+CSS authors are fare from familiar with CSS
Transforms, and transformation in the CSS world are really disruptive (I
see that every day with many people around me). From my perspective, only
authors with advanced skills are ok with transforms. Most of the time they
use it with JS on top of it and when they edit it by hand it's to perform
very small change (especially because it's not supported in legacy browser
so they cannot relay on it, therefor they learn slowly how it works). And
to be  honest, the quality of cross-browsers implementation of CSS
transform is not very good (poor rendering or horrible performance, make
your choice) which does not help the authors to embrasse them at a large
scale. So it remains an aside technologie in HTML+CSS.

Best
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net