Re: handling XLink deprecation

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:44:28 +1000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr.:
> Why differentiate between href and src here?  Is it to distinguish
> between things that accept url() and those that just accept a URL
> directly?

No it's for consistency with how src="" is used in HTML, for referencing
external documents to be rendered, versus href="" for all other types of
links.

But that just made me think: what about <use>?  Is that enough of a
"reference external thing for rendering" that it should be src=""?  It
can use URI references, though, and not just whole documents.