Re: MASKING AND COVERAGE: AGAIN

This helps although I was referring to the concept of a "source mask".
Such as the values produced when drawing a polygon or some text. In
the document the closest thing to it might be the concept of the
"shape" as mentioned slightly in the section on coverage.

So you have a bitmap which is the source pixels, and then the
compositor. So in between is the polygon shape, which I was referring
to as mask. The poylgon values are used to adjust the alpha of the
source pixels.

So the reason I think that the "shape" value should be applied just
before the blending step in the compositor is because of how different
requirements for premul can be combined as one. If the source pixels
are premul and the mask/shape value is not 1, the shape/mask value can
be applied in one multiply when unpremultiplying the source pixel
before the blender step.

If a global alpha property was also present then it can also be
combined together with the mask/shape value and the unpremul for
example.

If you look at libpixman then that is how they are doing it I think.
Agg 2.4 also seems to do the same thing. I just saw in AGG that they
were combining it differently for one or two blend modes and wondered
if it was "a part of the standard". But from the notes on source pixel
shape I think it is not.

Thanks.