Re: Feature request for SVG2 : stroke-position

From: Jeremie Patonnier <jeremie.patonnier@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:36:10 +0200
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
2011/9/19 Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>

>> <svg width="10px" height="10px" viewbox="0 0 10 10">
>>     <rect x="0" y="0" width="10" height="10" stroke="black"
>> stroke-width="1px" stroke-position="inside" fill="none" />
>> </svg>
>>

> I guess this depends how the browser is rendering the SVG. If there's a CSS
> transform on the SVG block, your output might still be blurry.

Wait, what ? Why a browser would apply a CSS transform if I do not ask for ?
But I agree, a CSS transform can mess it up... but in that case, well, a
dumb author that use a transform upon a pixel perfect shape still confirm he
is a dumb author... tools cannot help here :P

>  or like this :
>
> [image: stroke-position-inner-hide.png]
>
> Well, both result are acceptable and, once again, it's up to the author.
> So, to let him choose in here, it could be necessary to have another
> attribute : stroke-overlap with two values : "show" to have the first case
> and "hide" to have the second case. I vote to be "hide" the default value.
>

> If you have Illustrator, you should experiment with "offset path". I think
> its behavior is pretty close to what you have in mind.

Well, actually, it's exactly the tool I used to build that last output ;)

Cheers
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net

stroke-position-inner-hide.png
(image/png attachment: stroke-position-inner-hide.png)