RE: bounding box of inline SVG

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:24:14 -0400
To: "'Rik Cabanier'" <cabanier@gmail.com>, "'Alex Danilo'" <alex@abbra.com>
Cc: "'www-svg'" <www-svg@w3.org>

Rik writes:

inline SVG is part of the HTML document so it could be calculated by looking
at the size of its container.

Basically, it would just follow the same rules as regular HTML elements
(including how percentages are calculated if an ancestor has a CSS
transform)

That's what I'd expect to have happen.

Later he continues:

I believe that in the future, the author will typically create the HTML and
the inline SVG.

We shouldn't think about them as separate worlds. (I think there was
consensus about this at the Seattle F2F.)

And that is certainly consistent with the annoying agitation I began
offering the HTML WG some years back [1,2,3]. Over time, I've come to think
of it a bit differently though:

"The author will typically create the SVG with little bursts of occasional
HTML as needed (e.g., tables, form elements and API's). "

After all, HTML is a far less powerful environment than SVG and it behooves
us to keep that in mind as planning for their coexistence takes place. HTML
is the noisy little cousin that demands a lot of attention but ultimately
accomplishes much less. As a medium to enable the expression of human
thought, SVG is far richer than HTML, stemming from its primary metaphor and
from the mapping of that metaphor onto the cerebrum.

Cheers

David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0344.html

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0492.html