Re: luminanceToAlpha values in FEColorMatrix

Dean Jackson wrote:

>   0.3086 red, 0.6094 green, 0.0820 blue
>
> Since sRGB is used throughout the SVG specification, and sRGB takes its values from Rec 709, and Rec 709 seems modern (it's designed for HDTV), and the values are really close to what is already specified, I suggest we formally link to Rec 709 and use its values (a very slight change to current implementations).

sRGB is an engineering compromise, based on the behaviour of CRTs.
Computing Y as a weighted average of gamma corrected values is very easy
to do in simple analogue TV hardware, but doesn't one really want to
have a formula that better reflect the subjective brightness to a human
observer.  (I believe that, to a first approximation, the human eye can
be modelled with a gamma curve of rather less than x^2.2., but these
days, if you are using 24 bit colour, you could probably afford to store
the whole lookup Y=f(R,G,B) lookup table, and for greater colour depths,
you could interpolate.

(I missed the start of this, but, if one is then going to use it as an
alpha channel, one also needs to remove any remaining gamma correction.)

I'm only subscribed to www-svg, so public-fx may be delayed or fail.
--
David Woolley