Re: Revisiting SVG Fonts

On 31/10/2011 19:30, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> I wanted to bring forward my strongest disagreement with Mozilla's stance
> against SVG font support.

 From the 1.1.2 spec it is not clear to me (being dense) whether or not SVG
fonts are meant to enable the production of multicoloured, or otherwise
decorated fonts.

I would like to be able to create glyphs like this sort of thing:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_Eastern_Railway_Dynamometer_Car_National_Railway_Museum_York_Object_Number_1975-7050.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carousel.jpg

It seems to me that this is precisely the kind of thing SVG is supposed to
be for, and that no other potential mechanism exists.

It seem to me that it should be possible to take pretty much any piece of
SVG code, with CSS, maybe even with animation of the outline, or whatever,
and to declare it to be a character in MySpecialDisplay.SVGfont so that I
can use it to assemble text.

It seems to me that it should be possible to do this all within SVG
without having to get involved in some other rigmarole.

If SVG fonts is supposed to make this possible then this is a definite yes,
please. And if not, why not?

--
Charles Lamont