RE: text to path conversion API proposal

Some examples of remarkably inconsistent cross-browser rendering of decorated text can be seen at

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/TopAlignBrowsers.png (illustrating http://granite.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/tspanmeasure4.svg )

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/textplay.svg

and

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/verticalText.svg

A whole mess (the technical term) of text effects is at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/ in case one wants a compendium of "up your acid tests" for SVG and text.

Some were presented at SVG Open (http://cs.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/GeometricAccessibility.html ) but each contains some effects the other doesn't.

The word SVG word puns are at
http://cs.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/2011/simplePuns.svg

http://granite.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/2011/svgPuns.svg

http://cs.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/2011/heavyPuns.svg

and
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/texteffects2.htm

with the original bitmaps (some of which can't be done nicely as text in SVG yet) at
http://cs.sru.edu/%7Eddailey/svg/TypographicPuns1.jpg
and
http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/TypographicPuns2.jpg

good luck!