Re: renaming SVGPathSegList

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:22:10 -0400
To: Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de>
CC: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On 21/10/11 3:06 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
> If we think about renaming SVG Objects in the SVG DOM, we could
> rethink the complete concept of SVG DOM. I'd love to replace some SVG
> Objects / Unit types by corresponding CSS Object / units like
> SVGMatrix, SVGLength, SVGTransform and so on. They were useful in the
> past, but CSS improved a lot in the meantime and can take
> functionality over. That would also help supporting CSS Transitions /
> Animations with several SVG attributes. But it would definitely break
> backward compatibility! Every renaming would break backward
> compatibility!

I am not convinced that all renamings we could possibly do would break
backward compatibility.  Renaming SVGPathSegCurveToQuadraticAbs?  I
would be very surprised if anyone was messing with
SVGPathSegCurveToQuadraticAbs.prototype, for example.

As part of improving the SVG DOM -- and I do think we should try to do
this -- maybe renaming is not the answer, but introducing parallel, more
useful and usable APIs.

>>> var p = new SVGPathElement( string );
> That would work. But don't we support it anyway by setting the 'd'
> attribute via normal DOM?

Yes, so it would just be a (slight) convenience.  Maybe unnecessary with
the proposed DOM Core improvements being discussed on
public-webapps/www-dom.